Srijana in Barcelona

Life can be fulfilled despite many unfulfilled wishes -by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Monday, April 24, 2006

Sant Jordi in Barcelona

Yesterday was Catalan version of Valentine's day in Spain. Here people don't really celebrate Valentine's day on 14th Feb but celebrate Sant Jordi a lot on 23rd April. According to the legend, this day was the day when Sant Jordi (Saint George) , i.e., the Patron Saint of Catalonia died. The legend says that Sant Jordi rescued a princess from a dragon who was going to kill her and red roses grew from the blood of the dragon. Since then every 23rd of april it has been a tradition for a man to give a rose to the woman he loves... it can be to his mom, sister or a very close friend. And because it is also the day when Shakespeare died, the tradition adapted to book giving by women to men.

Pradeep gave me a rose to make this day special. Of course, as usual, he didn't give me a surprise because we were together when he bought me a rose. But except the surprising part I was happy to get a special rose from him.

Yesterday my good friend Mimi and Gabriel got engaged. She was, no doubt, very happy and we, all the Research Assistants, congratulated her for the special occasion. Congrats to Mimi and Gabriel.

My enemy sinus is not leaving me. Oppsss...I wonder if this enemy will leave me in any moment of my life. It has been 2 weeks I haven't had a lot of energy like I used to have. I hope I will get better soon.

8 Comments:

  • At 8:12 AM , Blogger Jitu'cha said...

    Wow.. now I have an explanition, if someday my Sunshine ask me; why "Red Rose". It's good to learn about Sant Jordi and legendary story behind the Red Rose and the gift "Book" to men. And it's also good to know that you've received a speical "Red Rose". Guess what! you should take a picture of it and post it here in your blog. So that we all can see that speical Red Rose.

    Thanks for sharing hai. And you take care.

     
  • At 8:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hello srijana..i was just surfing the net.i don't know how i got this site..i think someone sent me in my email..when i checked it..i got something like srijana in barcelona..amazing!!well it was good to know that you and pradeep both are in Spain these days.How's everything going over there?

     
  • At 8:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    sant jordi..what does that mean in spanish??so you guys celebrate spanish version of valentine day..
    when i told my wife(i got married!!)about sant jodi....she was like what!!!i guess i need to explain her in detail what does that mean....

     
  • At 11:47 AM , Blogger srijanablog said...

    hi Bidhur, nice to hear from you. Congratulations on being married.
    Sant Jordi is the name of a person. I think other story is explicit enough to make your wife understand.
    Hope to hear from you again,
    Srijana

     
  • At 4:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    srijana,
    It seems ur old e-mail does not work can you send me mail from your new address....
    Ramesh

     
  • At 8:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    it was great to get in touch with you through this site.It was good to read all your sweet days in Barcelona.We had a great time going through it.How's shila didi?

     
  • At 10:38 PM , Blogger srijanablog said...

    Hi Ramesh dai,
    I haven't changed my email address and I am using the same.

    Bidur, good to hear from you. Shila didi is doing good and she is in Bhairahawa now.

     
  • At 5:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Srijana,
    I mailed you on
    srijana438
    but it returned back to me. mail me on rnepal@yahoo.com
    Ramesh

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home