Srijana in Barcelona

Life can be fulfilled despite many unfulfilled wishes -by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Friday, December 01, 2006

Fear of pain

Because of the fear of the pain which I would have, I didn´t go to a dentist once even after making an appointment. Well! I think it was also because I didn´t like the dentist who didn´t even give 1 min to see my teeth earlier.

However, because my upper right wisdom tooth didn´t have enough space to come out, it was continuing to be a problem to my jaws and affecting other teeth as well. So once again I made an appointment to a dentist, but this time a different dentist, the one suggested by one of my friends. That day he took the x-rays and saw the orientations of my "muelas" and gave me the appointment for last Tuesday for pulling the tooth out. I was again really very scared by the thought of the pain that I would feel when the anesthesia injection is given, while my wisdom teeth is taken out and after the effect of the anesthesia goes away.

But on the day of the appointment to have my tooth pulled, I was not feeling uncomfortable with my tooth. It was perfectly fine. So I was wondering if it was really necessary for me to have my tooth pulled out. Well! I had to go. I was solacing myself with one point! i.e. taking out the upper wisdom tooth won´t be such painful as lower (as always,I did internet research to find this information). Then the doctor came, asked me if I had normal blood pressure, heart beat and other basic things. I told her that all those things were fine but I had viral flu (that was true) hoping that she would postpone the pulling out of my tooth to some other day. But she observed me and started laughing and said "Then no problem, it won´t save you from me taking your teeth out" So sad......

She then started giving the anesthesia and to my surprise I didn´t feel any pain. She used a tiny needle which was painless. The image of being anesthetized with a long needle was completely wrong. I then started thinking, after finishing she will stitch a portion of my jaws and when the effect of anesthesia will go, I will feel pain. Then she started cleaning my teeth letting the anesthetics work in my jaws. The dentist was very friendly and I was happy that she was giving her time to help me relax. She was assuring me that she will start taking my tooth out once I became sure that it would not give me pain. I have met few doctors in Barcelona and I think she was the first doctor who was so friendly and had time and empathy to understand the patients. At least for me this is the most important quality I look for in a doctor, which is to relieve the patients a bit psychologically, without any medicine.

Finally, the main part was over. She took my tooth out. I could fell the pressure in my jaws when she was doing her work and it was great that I didn't feel any pain till then. Within 10 mins she told me that she was done and gave some instructions to follow for next 24 hours (e.g. hold the bandage between two jaws, don´t spit, don't eat hot things). Other then that nothing. She didn´t even stitch because my tooth came out easily just by pulling. Amazing!!!!!!All my postulations of pain was unnecessary.

For those who have to take their wisdom tooth out and are worrying, I want to say "Don´t worry". Its going to be much simpler than you have imagined.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:50 AM , Blogger Jitu'cha said...

    Quite an ADVENTURE! Hoina ta. Like a Albert Einstein (1879-1955) quote "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." And I think it's also like treating life as if everything in life is ADVENTURE, even just going to Dentist to yank our tooth. Hum.. it's not less adventure for us to read your dentist experience and you getting relieve of the wisdom tooth that's troubling you for long.

    Quite similar to your previous postulation of dental pain, I know many do get scared of going to dentist and I know a clinic in Kathmandu called "Dent Inn" who promises to make every visit a pleasant experience. Of course, we can aware people that it's not just painful to go to dentist. And you know this clinic is very thoughtfulness of them to open a gallery for creative people to join them in educating people about dental health and letting people feel that it's not painful but smiles.

    Last September, on the occasion of Nepal Oral Health Day, this Gallery held one photo exhibition titled Miles of Smiles. In the exhibition they have displayed photographs from people's daily life with shades of smiles. Couple of pictures which I took were also selected for the exhibition. You can view those pictures along with many pictures of smiles, if you want to. Click here.

    By the way, I am starting to wonder is there any chance, I can see photo of that friendly and caringdentist ;) hha… ha

     
  • At 10:30 PM , Blogger Ashwyn said...

    thanks for your wished Srijana! Although I must say you were very luck y to have found a nice dentist. When I had a root-canal done on my molar, I swear it felt like I was giving birth to a child... I hate dentists!

     
  • At 12:11 AM , Blogger srijanablog said...

    Jiten dai, photo lina ta man laageko thiyo but couldnot..From next time I will remember you when I see beautiful girls and take photos hai :):)

    Ashwyn, next time If you need to go to the dentist let me know. You will start loving dentist, may be that beautiful dentist :):)

     
  • At 8:39 AM , Blogger Netra P. Paudyal 'Krishna' said...

    Good!

     
  • At 2:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    म एडम्स KEVIN, Aiico बीमा plc को एक प्रतिनिधि, हामी भरोसा र एक ऋण बाहिर दिन मा व्यक्तिगत मतभेद आदर। हामी ऋण चासो दर को 2% प्रदान गर्नेछ। तपाईं यस व्यवसाय मा चासो हो भने अब आफ्नो ऋण कागजातहरू ठीक जारी हस्तांतरण ई-मेल (adams.credi@gmail.com) गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क। Plc.you पनि इमेल गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ तपाईं aiico बीमा गर्न धेरै स्वागत छ भने व्यापार वा स्कूल स्थापित गर्न एक ऋण आवश्यकता हो (aiicco_insuranceplc@yahoo.com) हामी सन्तुलन स्थानान्तरण अनुरोध गर्न सक्छौं पहिलो हप्ता।

    व्यक्तिगत व्यवसायका लागि ऋण चाहिन्छ? तपाईं आफ्नो इमेल संपर्क भने उपरोक्त तुरुन्तै आफ्नो ऋण स्थानान्तरण प्रक्रिया गर्न
    ठीक।

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home